Suburb Profile - Maddington

Much of Maddington was originally selected in 1829 by Captain John Hobbs, master of the colonial brig "Thomson". This land was soon acquired by John Randall Phillips. As early as 1832, Phillips had named his property "Maddington Farm" presumably after the outer London suburb of that name. A ford across the Canning River near Phillip's farm was commonly known as Maddington Ford" in the 1850's and when it was decided to construct a railway station nearby, about the turn of the century, the obvious name was Maddington.